Zimmerman denies throwing bottle at ex-girlfriend

January 13, 2015 in International

GeorgeZimmerman-1ORLANDO, Florida (AP) — George Zimmerman became angry and threw a wine bottle at his ex-girlfriend when she tried to break up with him, according to a police report released Monday.
Zimmerman denied throwing the bottle and disputed her claim that he destroyed her cell phone last week, according to the report, which chronicles his latest run-in with police since he was acquitted of murdering Trayvon Martin in 2013. The killing of the unarmed black teen touched off protests across the country.
Instead, Zimmerman said, he was only trying to prevent her from entering his home.

The former neighbourhood watch volunteer was arrested Friday in Lake Mary and charged with aggravated assault. He was released Saturday on US$5,000 bond.
Zimmerman didn’t respond to a message left on his cell phone Monday by The Associated Press.

Officers patrolling the neighbourhood where Zimmerman lives last week heard the sound of glass shattering, and then saw the former girlfriend drive out of the driveway. They pulled her over for a traffic stop a few streets over because she didn’t have her lights on.

She explained that Zimmerman became angry after she told him she didn’t want to take the relationship further, and they also argued over a painting she had that he wanted returned. Zimmerman made threats and threw the wine bottle, which didn’t hit her, she said.

Detectives described her as “extremely emotional, crying, mad and upset” and said she became reluctant to cooperate when she realized that officers might be conducting an investigation. She called her former boyfriend “that psycho, George Zimmerman” and said several times that she should have known better than to get involved with him.
The ex-girlfriend, whose name is redacted, told investigators that she had had an “intimate relationship” with Zimmerman since the end of last year.
“She indicated that this began at a time when she was emotionally vulnerable,” the report said.

Zimmerman was arrested at his house on Friday, four days after the confrontation. Detectives said in the police report that he refused to come to the door for more than two hours despite their repeated knocking. They said they could hear the television on and a dog barking.

Zimmerman eventually came outside after police officers agreed to allow him to keep his attorney on his cell phone with him while he was interviewed, the report said.