1. the Federal Cabinet has received the final report of the National Cannabis Commission and has accepted their unanimous recommendations
2. The Drugs Act will be amended to develop a medical cannabis industry and allow use for medicinal purposes
3. Anyone caught with 15 grams or less or 5 plants or less will NOT have a criminal charge only a ticketable offence
4. Anyone already convicted of having 15 grams or less or 5 plants or less will have their convictions expunged
5. Use of Cannabis in Public will be strictly prohibited and subject to harsh criminal sanctions
6. Health sector to be boosted including counseling and treatment to ensure care of anyone adversely affected
7. Use or sale to anyone under 18 years would be strictly prohibited and have criminal penalties
8. Massive Public education campaign including in the school curriculum
9. Laws to be introduced to prohibit driving under the influence of cannabis
This will be a first phase as the National Commission did not agree to use for religious or recreational use and those matters will have to be further considered.
This is a significant development done after 15 months of widespread consultations in Nevis and St Kitts.
We thank Dr Hazel Laws and the entire National Commission for their excellent work.